Sunday, April 29, 2012

Compliments

I have been thinking a lot about compliments.
Why are they so hard to accept? Why do I feel embarrassed when someone does give me a sincere compliment?
Compliment :an expression of esteem, respect, affection, or admiration; especially : an admiring remark b : formal and respectful recognition
Is it because I am a woman that it is hard to feel worthy of the praise or esteem bestowed upon me? At the same time, I secretly, and I mean secretly, (until now!) really want the praise. 
I think it has to do with trying to be humble. But that doesn't mean I have to hide my light under a bushel.
I agonize over compliments and how to receive them. Do i kindly say," Thank you you're right I am pretty amazing! Thanks for noticing!"? How can I be humble and still accept the esteem, respect, affection, or admiration of others?
Well... I think I have figured it out for me. I truly appreciate that people make those sincere comments. The fact is I don't think I do anything wonderful. I am just trying to be the best person I can, just like you. I am just trying to figure out my path the same way you are. We just each go about our day putting one step in front of the other and at first I thought, "there is nothing to admire in that."!
How wrong I am. There is great respect to be had when we see each other working through our trials and struggles. There is something noble in seeing people parent their children and try to raise them in such a way that they can avoid outside influences.
It doesn't mean I am not humble. I know that I am doing the Lord's work for me. Isn't that noble? I am finding joy in my life, that is admirable. 
We need to look at compliments as what they are. You friends saying, "hey, we notice you. You are loved! we draw strength from seeing you do what you do."
I never know what to say to people. How about a simple, " Thank you. I appreciate your kind words" Instead of feeling unworthy and blowing the compliment off.
The fact is the when I am complimented, it comes down to how I feel about me.
Do I feel worthy of love? Do I feel good about me? Do I love me? Am I struggling today and I just can't see what everyone else sees?
This is when a compliment should benefit you the most. when you are stuck in the trenches and can't see what everyone else sees. This is when you friends are saying "keep going, keep moving you are doing great."
Keep reminding yourself that Heavenly Father knows your struggles and He sees you as competent 
lovely person. He only sees you as beautiful and strong enough to lead your family back to him even with the rotten world around you. (hard to soak in, huh?)
Love the compliments. Love yourself. Look at yourself and try to see what we see. Don't belittle that which is most precious. You are worthy of the compliments you receive. You are strength, you are joy, you are love. No one can do exactly what you do. That is a fact.
Compliments. hmmm....

1 comment:

Ashlie Grow said...

I did like this one :-) !! I can definitely relate to this one.