Friday, July 13, 2012

Partnership

Well, with my husband gone for a week I have been thinking a lot about partnerships.
I am thinking specifically of husband/wife partnerships.
I have been blessed to enjoy a great partnership with my husband for 21 years.That doesn't mean each and every one of those days have been shared in an equal partnership. Some day, he has to take up the extra slack and some days it is me who has too.
That is what a partnership is. Webster defines it as "A relationship between individuals or groups that is characterized by mutual cooperation and responsibility, as for the achievement of a specified goal."
Well, that is certainly true in my life. We, as parents and spouses, are reaching for a specified goal. Your goal is probably different than mine. That is okay. But, we (your family) are working together to reach the shared goal that we have established.
I am also in a partnership with Heavenly Father. John and I have a shared partnership that is together and seperate from each other. That is interesting. I have goals that are mine alone and John and I have shared goals.
there is never one person dominate over another in this type of partnership. The definition states a mutual cooperation and responsibility. Never should one person "rule or reign" over another. There should be a shared trust, a shared life together, a shared opportunity to grow and meet our goals together.
So, basically, I guess what I am trying to say is how grateful I am to have those shared responsibilities. It takes a lot of work in  marriage. It is hard work raising a family. The reason is because they are both so important. There is nothing on this Earth more important than these familial relationships. they are not always perfect, they are not always fun but they are so essential.
I love reading "The Family A proclamation to the World" the three paragraphs that I am going to quote explain my thoughts on marriage and family:


Husband and wife have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. “Children are an heritage of the Lord” (Psalm 127:3). Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, and to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and be law-abiding citizens wherever they live. Husbands and wives—mothers and fathers—will be held accountable before God for the discharge of these obligations.
The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended families should lend support when needed.
We warn that individuals who violate covenants of chastity, who abuse spouse or offspring, or who fail to fulfill family responsibilities will one day stand accountable before God. Further, we warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.


When I read this, I realize how important a family is to Heavenly Father's plan for me. In a world with constantly changing values, family life is often attacked viciously. It just testifies to me how important family life is.
Partnerships that are based on love, mutual respect and trust are the foundations that we lay for our children. Having grown up in a divorced home, I realize more than ever how much that "scarred" me. The decision to divorce was neccessary and I don't condemn it but there are many times we throw our realtionships away because we don't want to work on it. It is too hard. Well, you are right. it is hard because there is such value in the return. If we endure and try to get rid of our prideful nature, we can make marriages and families work.
Whenever I get upset, I have noticed that it mostly boils down to pridefulness, for me. I don't get the time to do....When will it be my turn to...why does that family seem to get everything while i have to...
I see the effects that a destruction of a family creates.I see it every day. Our families are worth our best effort. When we are tired or discouraged try harder. Don't give up. It is never hopeless.
I treasure my 3 way partnership. Cause, I tell you, I could not do this alone. Nor, will I ever have to because of my relationship with a loving Heavenly Father.

No comments: